Monday, June 9, 2008

A global phenomenon, and what the hell can we expect democracy to do about it?

This great story in the NYTimes about Gurgaon, India reveals the same phenomena that arise in many "third-world" cities as they become outposts of the global economy. It's similar to São Paulo: severe income inequality made plain through the proximity of slums to luxury high-rises, elites buying exclusive access to public goods of education/health/law and order, and a low state capacity to provide even basic necessities for those not living in these private enclaves.

The story includes quotes from residents of the complex pictured that will surely make your blood boil a bit. There's also an accompanying slide-show to get a better sense of what lives are like on either side of this urban universe. Really, do read the article.


PHOTO: Ruth Fremson, NYTimes

The author only briefly touches on the role democracy plays in this system, noting that:
India has long lived with such inequities, and though a Maoist rebellion is building in the countryside, the nation has for the most part skirted social upheaval through a critical safety valve: giving the poor their chance to vent at the ballot box. Indeed, four years ago, voters threw out the incumbent government, with its “India Shining” slogan, because it was perceived to have neglected the poor.
In democracy, leadership change is always possible and rarely prohibitively difficult. And it is true that the party in power does tweak how a state relates to underclasses (most often this shows in levels of social spending). But if India is anything like Brazil, I would venture to guess that voting and other democratic institutions have not fundamentally altered the nature of urban inequality, nor the basic relationship between the poor and the state. When I feel pessimistic, I doubt whether they ever will.

The field of comparative politics gives certain reasons for why democracies in practice are limited in this respect: clientelism and cronyism, corruption, manipulation of the press, fractured party systems and other institutional weaknesses, etc. If we can break these patterns and strengthen institutions, democracy will "function better." (As an aside, what constitutes "better functioning" is ultimately a normative question, making comparativists pretty useless for defining it in any compelling way. But for me, better functioning means creating conditions of social justice.)

The technocratic cartwheels of comparative politics aside, they are basically using what I call the "more cowbell" argument. (Recall the classic SNL skit with Christopher Walken exclaiming "I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!") If something isn't working - in this case democracy - we just need more of it.

But what if all the noise from the cowbell is covering up an inherently bad tune? Political theorists in the line of Marx will tell you that capitalism is to blame, to which democracy is inherently secondary - nothing more than a distraction from the economic gluttony and exploitation at work, a way to pacify the oppressed by giving them a superficial outlet for their anger. As an OSU professor has noted, democracy is unlike any other political system in that it internalizes descent. And in my thinking, it is in fact anti-revolutionary - to the degree that it keeps all sides playing under the established rules of the game and feeding the underdogs small victories as needed - just enough to keep them in for the next round.

Still, I'm not convinced this is inherently so. I don't really have any answers here. There was a time when I believed wholeheartedly in democracy's ability to facilitate fundamental changes, perhaps radical. I am much more pessimistic now, but where has that gotten me? I still can't untangle the knotted roots of urban injustice enough to say with conviction what they are, how they work, or most importantly, where to start pulling them up.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting analysis of the article. I actually lived in Hamilton Court for six days. And while I hated every minute of it, I find it a little bit more hopeful than the Times seemed to. I've written more here:
http://ourdelhistruggle.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/gurgaon-and-us/

Anonymous said...

Mountains beyond Mountains--The Quest of Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World, by Tracy Kidder. It's a good read.

Melanie :)

Laura said...

Melanie-

I have heard about this book, as well as Dr. Farmer's "Pathologies of Power." I actually meant to bring this with me to Brazil and forgot it. Bo is coming to visit me in August now (yay!) and I will put in the request. Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura,

It's awesome that Bo can come in August. I'm sure it will be refreshing to see him face to face!

One more thought for today.
Wouldn't it be pretty cool if you could have a letter/editorial coorespondance between the people you have met in Brazil and the homeless in Cincinnati?

With all the wonders of e-mail and the internet, there might be a way to send translated letters from people in Brazil to this newspaper for the homeless of Cincinnati, that you mentioned in your earlier blog post. The people in Cinci could then respond with letters to Brazil. There might even be an opportunity to circulate this coorespondance in a leaflet or paper in Brazil...

Crazy, probably too big of an idea. But it would be pretty neat to facilitate the international sharing of people's stories.

Let me know if you would like me to try to make some contacts in Cinci by e-mail or phone call.

Melanie :)

Anonymous said...

I just want to say: there is NOTHING wrong with more cowbell. I happen to LIKE cowbell, especially as it is used in, *ahem*, Brazilian and Cuban music.

Also, I think you mean "dissent," not "descent." I hope I just blew your mind. Like the time I realized "encourage" actually meant "to provide courage." Didn't notice "courage" in there before. WOAH!

Your facile friend,
e

David said...

What progress do you see, where you are?

bo@cnadp.org said...

This was a really good post!

There is a belief that a lot of people have that 'democracy' is always equivalent with 'good', but it's never really clear what advocates of 'democracy' actually mean by that term, and it is often equally unclear what is meant by 'good'. For example, the most heartless of Randians seem to find something 'good' in the misery of the masses, so long as we have a few heroic capitalists to worship (such as Carnegie and Rockefeller).

What you said about Marxism was interesting. I agree that social problems run much deeper than just a problem with the institutional mechanisms for expression of the public will ('democracy'). But, I think Marxism doesn't go far enough. It traces all our problems to the material circumstances in which we live (division of labor, concentrated ownership of capital, etc.) without really explaining how those circumstances are to change. A magic wand of history is simply supposed to make revolution inevitable. Saying that capitalists always defend their interests, as marxists tend to do, seems to contradict their own individual experience of leaving behind wealth to become advocates of the poor.

What I'm starting to think is that even if the problems of our society haven't been created by ourselves, the only solution to them is one that comes about through a moral struggle that is intensely individual. We have to look at what's wrong with the world and ask ourselves how we can fix it, rather than looking for some underlying scapegoat such as a lack of 'democracy' or the 'material forces of history'. There is a problem that always underlies all social problems, which is immorality. But, immorality is often a hard nut to crack because it seldom changes by simply going to those who act immorally and saying "you're being immoral". You have to inspire them, change their ideas about what's important in life, and ignite in them the same moral struggle that you've faced in yourself. That's why I wish I could get that 'not passing judgment' thing down, because it would make it much easier to have these conversations.

One final thought: 'evil' often looks a lot different when you see the person who is 'responsible' for whatever evil is being done. As Hannah Arendt pointed out, even Nazis can look human if you just look at them that way. I still find it hard to look at situations that I think are messed up and say definitively 'this is the person/institution to blame for this'. A perfect example is the death penalty, where governors who don't want to stir up trouble, prosecutors trying to pursue their own political objectives, and judges who want to boast that they are tough on crime, result in a system that kills needlessly, and often unfairly. There is no easy person to blame; everyone's merely doing their job and no one's job is justice. The only way to get anything to change is to get people to look beyond their jobs and take responsibility for something greater, which may cost them. And, the only way to do that is to take responsibility for it yourself, difficult (or even impossible) as that is.

Bo

PS; As long it doesn't turn into cynicism, a little despair every once in a while is alright; it just reminds you how difficult the tasks that lie ahead really are.

David said...

I think Bo is right when he says that moral struggles are intensely individual, and that should inspire humility in those who wish to broadly change the morals of others.

Laura said...

Melanie-

Sorry I never responded to your comments. I kept them in my mind though and have been working on a little something to say as new things have come up. Hope you see this by now!

I got Bo to bring me Pathologies of Power when he came to visit, in part cause you reminded me I had been meaning to read that book! I will be breaking into it hopefully in a week or two.

On you idea about homeless correspondence, I think there is the possibility for something more structured. About a month after reading you comment I actually came across the São Paulo version of StreetVibes. It's called the Trecheiro, though it is harder to get copies of than StreetVibes. I've had visions of creating some sort of article exchange between the papers. Unfortunately coordinating would get me off track of the other things I am trying to focus on at the moment, and more problematic, I am not going to be here long enough to pull that off. But under other circumstances I would be enlisting you to help me out on the Cinci end of things!

Laura