Monday, April 14, 2008

Apartment Found

Moving into my apartment today! Was squatting on the floor of a fellow American researcher in hip Pinheiros, but I now live in an older building near the city center. My roommate is a 30 year old teacher who spent some time in Canada a few years back so she speaks English (though I will try really hard not to use it).

I am excited primarily because the place is so cheap. There are a few good reasons for this - it’s on the edge of a sketchy neighborhood, and there is no furniture - but it has the basics: close to the Metro and bus stations, has a kitchen and laundry, and hopefully internet too in the coming days. With the money I am saving I can invest in some furniture and perhaps a few excursions around Brazil.

The other reason why cheap rent was paramount – I ultimately plan to move further south or west of the city when the location of my fieldwork is solidified. Most people will not rent for the short term like this, so I have been promising 3 months rent regardless of whether I stay that long or not. And I can afford blowing an extra month of rent on a cheap place, which wouldn’t be the case otherwise.

3 comments:

Isaac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martha said...

ha ha... who needs furniture anyway? You're a trooper, Laura.

anne said...

your American Fulbrighter Friend on whose floor you were squatting misses you.