Friday, March 14, 2008

Welcome to the World Bank

Little did I know that my first week in São Paulo happened to coincide with this.

It’s the “International Dialogue on Public Policy: The challenge of slum urbanization: Sharing São Paulo’s experience.” Funds for the conference came from the World Bank and member countries of the Cities Alliance (whose motto is “Cities without Slums,” a deliciously indeterminate phrase that brings to mind all sorts of lovely slum-clearing schemes). Why they chose the Hotel Intercontinental in Jardim Paulista is beyond me. Did the planners not notice the irony of holding a conference on slum upgrading at one of the chicest hotels in the city?

I showed up for the final plenary session around 9am on the coat tails of the aforementioned Columbia architecture group. We were given coffee and issued translation headsets before heading in to hear the closing thoughts of the invited participantes: public officials from Cairo (Egypt), Lagos (Nigeria), Ekurhuleni (South Africa), Mumbi (India), and Taguig (Phillipines). It was essentially a giant love fest, with plenty of gushing over the wonderful director of the São Paulo housing department and her staff. To be fair, it was a closing plenary, and that is how those things are supposed to go. But having just left Paraisópolis the day before I couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable at the self-congratulatory tone. That, and the champagne.

Rather than narrate, I will bullet point the excesses of the meeting:
  • The plenary was followed by a champagne reception, then an amazing catered lunch and dessert buffet. (Never one to pass on free food, I admit I took advantage of the latter two.)
  • An award ceremony and giant flower arrangement for the São Paulo housing director moments after she dodged a pointed question about insufficient compensation for evicted families with the response: “ummm… someone will meet with you later and you can ask them.”
  • Printing maybe 200 glossy art-books summarizing the slum upgrading projects in the city that would easily run $35-40 retail, and giving them away to participants for free. Yes, I got one, and it could have been food for a month for someone who needed it.
  • Having a World Bank rep confide to one of the Columbia professors that the reason impressive examples of slum upgrading in Caracas were not discussed during the week is because Venezuela just pulled out of the World Bank.

6 comments:

Jan Connell said...

Laura, I am so thrilled to receive this amazing information! Yipppeee! The first thing I'm going to do is find you on a map. You realize, too, that you've made one Albert Henry a very happy man. He'll be surfing the web like crazy following you every step of the way.

I forwarded your email with blog information to Chelsea and Liz. They've been asking about you.

Regarding World Bank Projects,I have one thought to contribute: Follow the money to see who really benefits.

A man drank water from a fine cup. He saw another man drinking water from cupped hands. With joy, he threw his cup away.

Take very good care. Cheers!
Aunty Jan

Jackie said...

Laura - it is so good to hear from you! I am thinking about you every day. I am eager to learn from your experiences about the people, places, problems and progress in Brazil.

XOXOXOXO,

Mom

AHR said...

Since receiving your blog I've been flitting(the word may be misspelled but it's the right one)around the internet searching for favela, cachaca(both artisanal and industrial) international copper assn., morumbi, jarden colombo, robert neuwirth, etc. I bogged down in the first chapters of neuwirth's shadow cities but skipping to the last few chapters seems to restore some interest. Property, property, property. I recall skimming some of the references while in college but now little comes back to me. Even then I must have flitted around to something else that interested me at the moment.
I admire you seeking and envy you receiving your current experiences. I look forward to Democracia Urbana.
Love AHR (grddy)

David said...

Laura, the politics of the World Bank may be amusing but by most accounts the Venezuelan situation is anything but impressive. But not to be a sour grape - I wish I could be in your shoes!

Martha said...

Hey Laura!
Thanks for telling me about your blog! I'm excited that you're going to write. Basically I'm excited about YOU and what you're doing/seeing/learning right now. I'm proud of you... I'm proud to have been periodically mistaken as you. :)
I love your intro comment on the side about leaving comments. I'll do my best. Keep having fun!
Martha

AHR said...

For us neophytes of favelas, or for the joy of it, check out Favelas in Brazil Silverdale geography project.